Friday, October 14, 2011

Hot Off The Press: Mediterranean Bean Burgers

For my 2nd MOFO piece with Vegan Mainstream, I've got a brand-new recipe for you guys.  I don't even think it will make it into my next book, it's that new.  But I wish it would, because our family now loves these Mediterranean Bean Burgers.

Made gluten-free and soy-free, and zhuzhed up with Mediterranean flavors including fresh oregano (use fresh! it makes a difference!), garlic, and olives.  These are simps to make too, guys.  Whiz up in your food processor, form into patties, and on to the pan they go.

Our whole family loves these burgers, especially our olive-infatuated daughter.  She'll look to choose the patties with the most olives, and I'll be a total softie and pluck the odd olive out of my own burger and give it to her with those puppy eyes.  Hmmm, would she so willingly share her ice cream with me???  Ok, back to the burgers.  These are also made without any added oil (oil from the olives excepted, but the kalamata olives pack a flavor punch), really not worth skipping!

Ok, 'nuff of my talking, link to the 'never-before-published' recipe, and get those burgers prepped for tonight!

14 comments:

Hannah said...

These burgers sound fantastic, Dreena- So flavorful, and unique! I'm not crazy about the standard old veggie burger, but this one definitely sounds like it's worth a try. :)

Sheree' said...

Thank you for sharing!!!

Bethany said...

Thanks, Dreena - these burgers sound fantastic! I love how you make your burgers without vital wheat gluten. I just find VWG to be very "heavy" in my stomach. These look like they almost might be as good as your Spicoli Burgers :)

Dreena said...

thanks guys. :)

Bethany, I've never used wheat gluten much, and I like to create them wheat-free or gluten-free from the get-go, just so they are more accessible for everyone. Hope you like!

Vic Robinson said...

NICE! That burger is massive!

http://haymarket8.blogspot.com

Jessica said...

Hey Dreena, is that your cashew cheese I see smeared on top?

Dreena said...

Jessica, I was wondering if anyone would notice what the spread was! Good eyes!! It's not my cashew cheese, instead it's "Almonnaise"... healthier version of vegan mayonnaise, will be in the new book! :)

Yogi Kitchen said...

I want this now! The almonnaise is really exciting, we can't get Vegenaise in the UK or definitely not here in India where we are for 3 months. Looking forward to the new book!

vegancouchpotato said...

Dreena-

As always, you never cease to astonish me!! This looks soooooooo yummy :) I love bean burgers!

VCP

Jessica said...

I made these for dinner yesterday. They're possibly the best veggie burgers I've ever had. Even my picky omni husband liked them.

Dreena said...

Wow! Even I'm impressed, Jessica. Thanks for that. I wanted a quick go-to burger (sometimes the sauteeing of ingredients for burgers makes the process too long), largely bean-based, and with some flavah! It's such a pleasure to know they were a big hit for you and your hubby - thank you. :)

Elizabeth said...

The burgers were amazing! I still have leftovers - at least five burgers (I made them smaller). They were delicious, plus me and my dad were eating it while we pureed it. I am definitely making those again :) Good job! Thanks! BTW I have never had a better meat or veggie burger. I can't stop talking about it... omygoodness.... Thank you :D

Dreena said...

Echo, oh wow, I wasn't expecting that! I am tickled that you loved these as much as you say - maybe I should try to squeeze them into my next cookbook afterall! Thank you for the feedback, what a treat!

LizAshlee said...

WOW, love this recipe...sounds delicious...I just found your blog via OSG...happy to find another great one to follow!! :)